Is there anything more British than a good old scone with cream and strawberry jam? You could argue there is (and you would probably win!) but for me the scones are England in an essence. Love them for breakfast, for lunch and well, for dinner too! Since they have run out of them in my favourite bakery (and how dare they?) I decided to make them myself from scratch. So much simpler that I first thought, I probably never go back to buying them ready-made again!
And as you have probably noticed by now, I do like oranges with my food plus they photograph so well too!
And here’s how you can make your home made scones
Ingredients (8 scones)
250g strong white flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
40g soft butter (unsalted)
40g caster sugar
125ml full-fat milk
clotted cream & strawberry jam to finish
How to make them
1. Heat your oven to 220C, line baking tray with the greaseproof paper
2. Put flour into the bowl and add butter, rub together using hands
3. Add sugar, egg and baking powder and mix gently. Keep adding the milk slowly bringing the dough together. Form a smooth dough
4. Using a rolling pin roll out until 2.5cm thick. Stamp out rounds (glass worked perfectly well replacing the proper pastry cutter!) and place on the baking tray
5. Leave the scones to rest for a while, then glaze the tops with some leftover milk and bake for 13-15min