Who doesn’t like pizza? I can’t see any hands up in the room!
Nothing beats the pizza from this lovely small italian place just around the corner, however the home made pizza is a close runner up! The crust may not be as thin and perfectly crispy (well, somehow I simply cannot fit the wood burning oven in my kitchen! ) but at least I get have the toppings totally my way.
This was my first attempt to make home pizza and definitely not the last! It may not be the prettiest pizza I have seen but it does taste dam good! And I will practice, practice and practice some more to get thinner crust and get a little more crazy with the toppings.
I have used this recipe and it turned out just perfect for two small size pizzas – if you are planning a bigger feast, you may want to increase be ingredients. And speaking of the ingredients – get crazy, put all you’ve always wanted to try on a pizza – you’re the chef now!
Classic Pizza Capriciosa
- 2 cups of plain or strong flour
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 7g sachet of dried yeast
- pinch of sugar
- 1 can of good quality tomatos
- salt, fresh ground pepper
- 2-3 clovers of garlic
- 1 tsp of italian herbs (oregano, basil)
- 5 mushrooms
- several slices of your favourite ham
- ball of mozarella
- fresh basil
- 2 tbsp mayo
- 2 tbsp greek yoghurt
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Prepare the dough: Mix flour, salt, olive and yeast and knead for 5-10minutes
- Shape in a bowl, place in a bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towel
- Leave to prove for 90 minutes
- Prepare the sauces: Tomato sauce: mix tomatoes, crushed garlic and herbs. Season with sugar and salt to taste – you can use blender to have the sauce smooth. Garlic sauce: in a separate dish mix all the ingredients, season with salt and sugar to taste
- Dough: Preheat the oven to 250c degrees. When the dough has risen, hit it with your fist to release the excess air, knead for a while and divide into two
- Using rolling pin flatten both parts of the dough, diameter of ca 20cm each, use 2 tbsp sauce on each pizza
- Place the toppings – mushroom,s pieces of ham and mozzarella
- Bake for 15-20 minutes
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve piping hot with he remaining tomato and garlic sauce.