Me and soups have never really been a thing. This probably goes back to still vivid memories of my school’s canteen and different soups they served each day. They all looked different but tasted exactly the same, leaving me thinking this is just how the soups are – bland and tasteless. And quite impractical – it’s not enough to fill you up but just enough not to leave any more room for seconds of your favourite main.
And then I have come across this recipe and it made me rethink the soup concept! I have been converted! Soups are actually not a bad thing at all, and as long as you have a good recipe, bland and tasteless is a long gone memory!
The spicy chickpeas, coconut and tomato soup is warming, hearty and deliciously creamy. It is dead easy to make and is ready in well under 30 minutes! And apparently it tastes even better the next day – I will test it next time, now it was all gone before I noticed!
Spicy chickpeas, coconut and tomato soup
Ingredients (2 portions)
- 1 can of chickpeas (400g)
- 1 can of good quality tomatoes
- 250ml coconut milk
- 1 fresh red chilli (finely chopped)
- 1 thumb size piece of ginger (grated)
- 1 shallot or brown onion (chopped)
- 3-4 cloves of garlic (finely grated)
- zest of one lime or lemon
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3-4 cardamon pods
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- fresh parsley for garnish
* to speed things up a bit I used food processor to chop onion, garlic, ginger and chilli together and then combined steps 1 and 2
- Heat up some olive oil in a pan and add onion, garlic and ginger, season with salt and pepper to taste
- Once browned a little, add chilli and fry for a while
- Add spices and lime zest and stir everything together
- Add tomoatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes
- Add coconut milk and cook for further 4 minutes
- Add chickpeas and cook further 3 minutes
- Garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy hot! Or even better, enjoy the next day!